Home > Misc > Rates for excess luggage, animals and unaccompanied minors
Children travelling alone are in safe hands. We accompany them throughout the flight, from the time that you say goodbye to them at the start of their journey to the time they are collected by family or friends at the destination airport.
Fee for tickets issued before 1st September 2012:
Fee for tickets issued on/after 1st September 2012:
This arrangement only applies to flights operated by Brussels Airlines. Our codeshare partners may follow a different policy.
Important indication: unaccompanied minors (passengers aged between 5 and 14 years traveling alone) of Italian nationality who undertake trips abroad need special travel documents. In fact, all children of Italian nationality who have not yet attained the age of 14 years must travel with a personal passport or a certificate or birth certificate with photo, duly endorsed by the police (Questura) and valid.
For more information, click here.
Free luggage allowance on Brussels Airlines operated flights:
Any luggage in excess of the free luggage allowances is subject to excess luggage charges. Our excess baggage fees apply to one-way journeys.
Excess luggage fees for tickets issued before 15 januari 2013 (PDF).
Excess luggage fees for tickets issued after 15 januari 2013 (PDF).
These excess luggage rates apply on flights operated by Brussels Airlines. Different charges may apply on flights operated by our codeshare partners. Please contact ourCustomer Contact Centrefor more information.
Online pre-purchase of excess luggage
When pre-purchasing your excess luggage online, you receive up to 20% discount on offline rate.
Buy excess luggage online when booking your ticket or via "Manage My Flight". (available up to 24 hours before departure)
Online discount on excess luggage fees for tickets issued before 15 januari 2013 (PDF).
Online discount on excess luggage fees for tickets issued after 15 januari 2013 (PDF).
Prices are shown in Euro. Other currencies depend on exchange rates.
Some bookings might have a restriction on the online discount fees.
If you receive an error message when pre-purchasing your excess luggage online, please contact our Customer Contact Centre +32 2 723 23 45
- Excess luggage of up to 100 kg / 220 lbs. per person or party can in principle be carried as checked luggage without prior consent of Brussels Airlines at the time of booking
- Excess luggage over 100 kg / 220 lbs. per person or party can only be carried as checked luggage with prior consent of Brussels Airlines at the time of booking.
- Every single luggage should not exceed the limit of 32kg.
- Passengers may check in a maximum of 5 pieces. All pieces exceeding this maximum amount must be sent via cargo.
- Baggage dimensions exceeding 203cm (L+H+D) are subject to evaluation on acceptance.
For more information please contact our Customer Contact Centre: +32 2 723 23 45
For tickets including flights with other airlines than Brussels Airlines the Most Significant Carrier rule applies according to the IATA resolution 302, effective as from April 2011:
As a general rule, the free baggage allowances apply when Brussels Airlines operates the geographically longest or most significant stretch of the journey. If the longest leg or the most significant stretch of the journey is operated by another airlines, its baggage allowance rules may apply on Brussels Airlines flights or on codeshared flights. The applicable free baggage allowance is mentioned on your electronic ticket.
Exception for flights to and from the USA (origin or destination point):
Under the consumer protection law by the US Department of Transportation that apply to all flights to, from and across the US following baggage conditions apply:
- Consistency of baggage rules: same free baggage allowance, excess baggage charges and hand luggage regulations are to be applied throughout the journey
- The applicable baggage rules are usually the ones set by the airline listed first on the ticket
- Any airlines listed as first carrier on a ticket can chose freely to transfer the baggage rules to any other airline in the itinerary (MSC).
Pets in Cabin
Travelling with a pet in the aircraft cabin is subject to availability and must be pre-notified at the time of reservation.
A fee applies per one way flight.
Please contact our Customer Contact Centre to check the availability on the flight.
Pets in cabin are:
- small domestic animals such as dogs and cats, weighing less than 8kg (including pet bag)
- service animals such as seeing-eye, hearing or assistant dogs are accepted free of charge, without restrictions of weight or size.
- Brussels Airlines doesn't accept any pets in cabin on its flights to the United Kingdom.
Exception: Service animals are accepted to/from Birmingham
- Animals into and out of Kenya, may be transported by cargo only.
IMPORTANT: birds, fish and rodents (e.g. guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, etc.) are not permitted in the passenger cabin on Brussels Airlines flights.
IMPORTANT NOTICE : Booked your ticket BEFORE June 3rd 2011? Check out the previous luggage rules:
Short haul: €30 per one-way (from point of origin till final destination)
Long Haul (Africa) and Medium Haul (Tel Aviv): €60 per one-way
These rates are valid on flights operated by Brussels Airlines. On flights operated by one of our codeshare partners, the rates of the respective partner apply. Please check with the airline operating the flight for their specific rates to travel with a pet in cabin.
Additional baggage allowance U.S. Military personnel
As from travel date 1st November 2012, Brussels Airlines will allow U.S. Military personnel to travel with an additional baggage allowance, free of charge, on UA/SN operated flights. Bags must meet weight and seize restrictions.
- Active U.S. military and their accompanying dependents* on personal travel: free baggage allowance of 3 pieces, 32kg max/piece, max. dim. 158 cm/piece.
- U.S. military personnel on orders and U.S. military personnel/dependents* on orders for relocation: free baggage allowance of 4 pieces of 32kg max./piece, max. dim. 292cm/piece in Economy Class or 5 pieces of 32kg max/piece, max. dim. 292 cm/piece in Business Class
* Dependents traveling with active U.S. military personnel are exempt as long as they are traveling in the same reservation. This exemption will not apply to group reservations including ten or more customers. Military ID and orders must be presented at check-in.
- Travel between United States/Europe & United States/Africa: United Airlines & Brussels Airlines operated flights and flight numbers only.
- Travel within Europe & between Europe/Africa: Brussels Airlines flights and flight numbers only.
Baggage connecting to other airlines will also be subject to the connecting airline's excess charges and/or oversize, overweight charges in addition to Brussels Airlines charges.