Other medical equipment
The use of other (private) medical equipment during flight is only permitted under the following conditions:
- Pre-notification is required at the time of booking or at least 48 hours prior to departure
- Authorization for use on board has to be coordinated via Medical Assistance Coordination Service
- Medical clearance is required see 'Passengers requiring medical clearance (MEDA cases)'
The transport of private medical equipment – without using them on board: might also be restricted, as could contain or consists of dangerous goods.
CPAP - Continuous Positive Airway Pressure device
A CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) device generates a constant supply of pressurized air to persons with respiratory problems. It is mainly used by patients for the treatment of sleep apnea but is also used for ventilation.
In accordance with the general acceptance conditions passengers requiring the transport and/or use of a CPAP device have to observe the following:
- The device must be switched off and stowed during taxi, take off, landing and during phases in which the flight crew considers it as essential.
- In case of permanent use sufficient non-spillable battery power for 150% of the maximum flight duration must be available.
NOTE: connecting to the aircraft electrical power is not permitted.
- Any supplementary batteries in the carry-on baggage must be, in alliance with the IATA DGR, protected from short circuit and from physical damage. The device must be in compliance with the safety regulations for stowage on board.
Portable Oxygen Concentrator – POC
List FAA approved POC
Kidney dialysis machine and CAPD bags
Passengers dependent on a kidney dialysis machine or CAPD (continuously ambulatory peritoneal dialyses) requiring bags with dialysis solution:
- May check in these items free of charge (maximum 25kg)
- Take a kidney dialysis machine (approximate measures 80x60X 40 cm) with them (either in cabin and/or in hold, whichever is applicable/possible)
- Must not use the dialysis machine on board.