Travel documents

Which travel documents do I need?

The travel documents you need will depend on:

  • Your citizenship
  • Your destination country
  • Your reason for travel

The most common travel documents you’ll need are:

  • An international passport or identity card
  • A Visa or other travel authorization document (e.g. ESTA for the US, eTA for Canada)
  • Vaccination certificates (e.g. Yellow Fever vaccination certificate)

Where to find which travel documents you need for your specific situation?

Governmental websites and your destination’s embassy are the best source to work out which travel documents you need. Make sure you do so well in advance, as some documents may take a few weeks or months to acquire.

Passports and identity cards

For most countries, you’ll need an identification document such as a passport or identity card. Make sure you check the validity of your passport or identity card, as some countries will only allow entry if your passport or ID is valid for at least 6 months after your arrival date.

ID Conformity check to and from Belgium

Under Belgian law, Brussels Airlines is obliged to perform an identification conformity check for all passengers. This means that Brussels Airlines will check if the name on your boarding pass matches exactly the name on your ID card or passport.

The ID conformity check applies to:

  • All passengers, including infants and children
  • All Brussels Airlines flights, including flights between Schengen countries
  • Your passport or identity card only! Driver’s licence, health insurance cards, etc. are not accepted as valid travel identity documents.

If the name on your boarding pass and identification document don’t match, you will be denied boarding.

Have a typo in the name on your booking?

Name corrections (up to 2 characters) can be performed at a fee of €25.
Contact us via +32 (0)2 723 23 62 / Facebook / Twitter or contact your travel agent. 

Advance passenger information for non-Schengen flights.

Belgian law requires Brussels Airlines to collect your Advance Passenger Information (“API”) data, which are mentioned on your passport or identity card, if you booked a non-Schengen flight, to, from and across Belgium.

These data must be collected during check-in and you will thus be required to provide this data during online check-in or at the airport.

Brussels Airlines will be required to transmit the API to the Belgian passenger information unit at flight closure. The data will be analysed by the information unit with the aim of improving border control and fighting illegal immigration.

More information can be found on the following link:

Passengers travelling to the United Kingdom, China, Canada or the United States need to fill in their API during booking.

If you skip this step, you will need to check in at the airport, as we won’t be able to issue your boarding pass via our other check-in options.

Travel Visa & other documents

Depending on your destination, you may also need a travel visa. Brussels Airlines may check for a valid visa before allowing passengers to board their flight. If you don’t have the required travel visa for your destination, you may be denied boarding and immigration officers can deny you entry to the country.

Travel to and transit in the United States

Citizens of visa-exempt countries can use the Visa Waiver Program and apply for an ESTA.

Have a connecting flight in the US? You’ll also need to apply for an ESTA. Even if the US is not your final destination.

Flying to Canada with a connection in the US (or vice versa)? Then you’ll need both an ESTA and an eTA.

Travel to and transit in Canada

Citizens of visa-exempt countries can apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).

  • Apply for your eTA at the latest 72h prior to travel

Have a connecting flight in Canada? You’ll also need to apply for an eTA. Even if Canada is not your final destination.

Flying to the US with a connection in Canada (or vice versa)? Then you’ll need both an eTA and an ESTA.

Travel to Saint Petersburg (Russia)

Citizens of selected countries can apply for an e-visa to visit Saint Petersburg and the Leningrad region. You will need to bring a printed copy of your e-visa with you to enter the country.

IMPORTANT NOTE: When applying for the e-visa, make sure that your first and last name(s) on your e-visa are exactly the same as in the machine-readable zone of your passport. This zone is usually to be found at the bottom of the identity page of your passport, and contains "<".

Travel document e-visa LED

East Africa Tourist Visa (Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda)

Visiting Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda? These East African countries offer a joint tourist visa obtainable from any of their embassies.