Travel documents

Conformity check

Belgian law requires Brussels Airlines to perform a conformity check between the name on your boarding pass and the name on your identity card or passport. Conformity checks will be performed on all Brussels Airlines operated flights to and from Brussels, also on intra-Schengen flights. All guests need to be in possession of a valid identity card or passport when boarding (driving license and other documents like health insurance cards, bank cards etc. are not accepted as valid travel documents). This also applied to children and infants.

You will only be accepted to board your flight if the names on your boarding pass and your identity card or passport match. Therefore, it is important that your official name is mentioned in your reservation. In case your name or the name of other passengers is misspelled, please don't hesitate to contact your travel agency or us via +32 (0)2 723 23 62 or on Facebook / Twitter. In case a correction of your name (which is allowed up to two characters) shall be executed, a fee of 25 EUR shall apply.

Advance Passenger Information (API)

Some countries require that international airline companies transmit all or part of their passengers' personal information. If you haven’t provided your Advance Passenger Information (API) yet, you will be asked to complete a form at check-in. More information on the collection and transmission of Advance Passenger Information (API) for non-Schengen flights.

Travel visa

Depending on your destination, a travel visa may be required to enter the country in addition to a valid passport. Brussels Airlines may check for a valid visa before allowing passengers to board a flight. Immigration officers in certain countries will deny entry to travelers who do not have a valid travel visa.

To avoid putting your trip at risk, determine if you need a travel visa. 


Travelling to the United States? All eligible international travellers who wish to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program must apply for authorization. If you are planning to transit in the USA or intend to stopover on the way to your destination, you will still need to apply for an ESTA.

Apply for your ESTA as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours before departing to the United States. Real-time approvals will no longer be available and arriving at the airport without an approved ESTA will result in being denied boarding.

Please note that if you transit through or stopover in the US to travel to Canada (or vice versa), you will need both an ESTA and an eTA.


Travelling to Canada? As from 15 March 2016 visa-exempt foreign nationals who fly to or transit through Canada will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. If you are planning to transit in Canada or intend to stopover on the way to your destination, you will still need to apply for an eTA.

Please note that if you transit through or stopover in Canada to travel to the US (or vice versa), you will need both an eTA and an ESTA.

East Africa Tourist Visa

Off to Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda? Then remember that these east African destinations offer a joint tourist visa obtainable from any of the three countries’ embassies. Apart from saving money compared to the price of the separate visas, the East Africa Tourist visa also saves on red tape. For more information visit

E-Visa for Kenya

As from 1 July 2015 all visa applications to enter Kenya are made electronically and have to be obtained before your travel. You can apply for your eVisa via